Wednesday, January 9, 2008

DOLLY IMPARTS WISDOM ON COUSINS!!!



Peter has cordially asked me to write an editorial for Witwer Kids Now! My only guidelines were that it should be inspiring and thought-provoking. I told Peter that I’m good at provoking. I decided that I should not go the easy way and write about polarizing issues, like politics and religion (man’s interpretation of spirituality) but instead provoke in a more substantial, more important and more difficult way. I want to provoke you into being yourself.

People may casually say “be yourself”. But have you actually thought about what that means? Some people may live their whole lives without being themselves. Others may have a clear idea of who they are, but are afraid of showing it. Some might take 50 years to find themselves. Others may have had it all along. What does it mean to find yourself? In lieu of a polarizing one sentence answer, let me give you some of my personal thoughts.

For me, finding yourself starts with knowing your roots. We share half this common thread by being part of the Witwer family. Our great-grandparents Gaga and Mohler and Grandmother and Grandfather Booth were wonderful people. I remember Grandmother and Grandfather Booth as the most affectionate old people I ever saw. I remember one night in Kendallville at Lee and Corky’s house at a cocktail party and Grandmother and Grandfather Booth kept kissing each other. I had never seen old people kiss! Today I love the fact that a couple can be just as in love as old people as they were when they were young. I also remember visits to Gaga’s house in South Bend. Corky would sit by Gaga’s side in the sitting room and reminisce about Higgins Lake in Michigan when she taught Corky how to sail on a little wooden boat. After sometime talking together, usually quietly and alone, Corky and Gaga would give each other a kiss. A wonderful show of love between mother and son, bound not only by blood but also by fond memories made together in the simplest of fashions.

When you know your roots, you have the makings of yourself. From here you need to find your own independence. I don’t think you can find yourself if other people are telling you what to do. This is not to undermine discipline. On the contrary, I think discipline is the best way to learn good suggestions on going about things. But it is only when you can think for yourself that you start to earn independence.

Once you have achieved some independence, you can start thinking about the way you want to do things and form some opinions on various spiritual, social or political ideas. The best way, I think, to go about this is to first work hard towards a thorough and solid education and while doing so, try to keep an open mind. An open mind does not mean you should try everything life has to offer, but incorporates an attitude that other people are different than you and that’s one of life’s larger acknowledgements. Some may claim that people come and go, but it’s the ideas that stay. I think that ideas come and go, that’s what makes it an idea, while people are the substance behind the idea. In other words, don’t be afraid to think a new idea, judge it, and decide if it’s good for you.

As the years go by, life has a way of presenting us a lot of mysteries, tragedies and wonderful things. Life is life. But it’s the way you respond to it that makes you YOU. Be inspired by your roots. Surround yourself with people that love you, that inspire you and who provoke you to make yourself and your community better. This will give you confidence to be yourself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dolly, this is beautifully written. You are a wonderful Big Sister for all the Witwer Kids Now. Lots of love, Mom